October 30, 2019

Kids hear and a touch of feelings

So, interesting thing happened yesterday. I really needed time with God so I told Alexia to play Hillsong worship music and was praying and getting dinner in the crockpot while kids were working. Well, Joel decided it was time to change pants for the third time of the morning. If you have kids you have probably been right where I was standing in my kitchen with a screaming kid surrounded by pants and chicken juice on your hands. Especially if you have a strong willed child (God seems to bless me with those)! 😂. That child was melting down fast because his demands were not being met instantly. Well, Skillet had come on my station for some reason with their song Monster just a couple minutes before. I washed my hands and tried to calm Joel down. He wasn’t having it at first like usual if he’s not getting his own way. Well, I wasn’t going to change his jeans again. Like I said it would have been the third pair in just two hours. Not necessary. When he’s not getting his own way he will stop his meltdown sometimes and try to distract us. He said, “I feel the monster, it’s in me.” I didn’t even know he was listening to the song since he was in the next room, but he heard. He used even a Christian song and repeated the lyrics to distract me and try to get me to laugh so I’d forget I was saying no and he’d get his way. It has worked in the past for him so he keeps doing it. We are onto him though. Lol. What really stuck with me though is how much God is convicting me of the things we are watching and listening to on the tv and radio all the time. Our kids hear all! They may not be in the same room but they hear. Even as they sleep they are absorbing it. This has been a conviction for several months in my heart and yesterday truly confirmed it all. Even a Christian song and he took the words and used them as a tool to distract me because he absorbed what he heard. If we hear a song on the radio a couple of times then it gets stuck in our heads. Well, if we (our children too) hear a message on tv or language or anything even once it is in their heads, more than that it’s gonna stick! So, does that mean I’m gong to only watch the 700 club or televised preachers? Or go without tv? 😱. No! Wow! Our TVs are on all the time. We love tv, but we love God more so we will choose more wisely what we watch. At first I was really about to jump on with him telling me a feeling. We are definitely working on feelings with Joel so I was kind of happy he was using a feeling but sad he felt that way. Then I realized what he was doing. It actually did make me a little happy he didn’t use something silly from Minecraft to distract but still. So, is Skillet off the table? At first I said no more. Then I thought about it, if he heard that he’s hearing more. So no. I will pray over it and pray he gets the proper message! I think God was using this moment to confirm my convictions on child’s ears in a positive way instead of him walking around saying quotes from some secular tv show or movie. Praise Him for his conviction and confirmation!

No comments:

Post a Comment