January 14, 2022

Throw back? Nostalgia?

I am obsessed with TV. There, I said it. I love TV! Especially older shows, shows that are a blast from the past, shows that bring back memories of the past. When I watch shows from the 80's and early 90's I remember curling up in my parents bed and eating a tv dinner or a totinos pizza (when they were still round) and just being a kid. I remember rushing in from outside playing, rushing through my shower, and rushing through chores just to turn on the tv in time for my shows to come on. I remember Friday night sleepovers with my Gram (before she went into the nursing home) and waiting through The Peoples Court, the news, Entertainment Tonight, Wheel of Fortune, Jepordy (seriously, couldn't she have let me watch Win, Lose or Draw and Family Fued), I waited just to catch TGIF. So the nostalgia goes past sitcoms and to game shows, talk shows, news shows. I love the old shows, all of them!! But sitcoms hold a special place in my heart. Rushing home to curl up, rushing home to shower, begging to stay up for just 30 more minutes for just one more show. Watching the only sitcoms my mother tolerated on Saturday nights (227, Amen, Golden Girls, Empty Nest). The excitement waiting for the theme song to finish to see what the week holds for my favorite characters and singing that theme song, knowing every word. Gosh I loved those days! Kids today don't have that. Some shows skip the theme song all together!! What? We can stream our favorite shows and depending on your plan skip commercials. My boys got a big kick out of watching old Christmas commercials on my phone in November and December. I mean is was a great feeling seeing those again. When reruns were on in the summer or nights my shows weren't on I got to rent a movie and usually would rent the same ones over and over but those shows are really what I loved. Even at my age now I love sitcoms over other shows usually but sadly it feels like there are not really any shows I can watch with my little ones anymore. This makes me so sad for my kids. Today kids would rather watch a youtube video or play video games than watch a program with their family. My youngest doesn't even like most movies and loses interest very quickly in movies but can watch youtube videos of people playing video games for hours. I truly don't get it but I'm sure when they are my age they will wonder why their kids don't watch youtube videos and do what kids do in 30 some years from now. Oh well. Now lets talk reunion shows and reboots! Some just aren't the same but some I actually love! Did you know Mad About You did a reboot a few years ago? I loved catching up with Paul and Jamie and the gang!! I loved it! I can't wait to share my favorites and maybe not so favorites and give my opinion. So fun! Some really bring on the memories and feels and some I just think what was that. So, here's to sitcoms, television, family time, and just catching up with our favorite characters!!

No comments:

Post a Comment