July 22, 2011

I be jammin!!

Well, our garden really has put out some cucumbers!!! I mean cucumbers galore!! Randy started pickling them and we were trying to figure out another way to preserve our harvest so they don't just sit there and go bad. I mean we have alot of pickles and he is still making them! Our neighbor asked about cucumber jelly. I started searching but only found one really good site with a recipe. Most people have turned up their noses, until they try it! It is awesome!! I wouldn't try it with peanut butter on a sandwich or anything but it is great with crackers and cream cheese and also would be good with a cream cheese sandwich!! We had a watermelon in the kitchen that needed to be cut and I wanted him to make watermelon jelly so he finally gave in and did. We have gotten awesome comments on that also. So now my husband pickles, and makes jellies. I want in on this whole thing. I found an interesting recipe for cantaloupe cinnamon preserves. I am now making my first batch to be canned. It is a 24 hour recipe but so far pretty easy! I am so excited!! I am also planning on trying blueberry orange marmalade. Most of what I am working with we have gotten things from the farmers market but Randy has been taking from the garden!! How fun!! I have made cucumber bread though which came from the garden. I am also planning on what do do with all these cool peppers!! I am loving our garden and living in SC where so many awesome fruits and veggies are abundant certain times of the year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment