July 24, 2011

A new passion!

I have to admit I am loving making jams and preserves!! My first was cantaloupe preserves! I started them on Thursday evening and finished them on Friday night. It is a 24 hour process to make them but so worth it! Eli was the first to try them early Saturday morning on some cinnamon raisin toast and loved them. He is tough too because he is so picky. Mom dipped her finger in and didn't care for them but later tried them on some toast and like them alot and everyone else in the house loved them! I am so happy that Randy has opened my eyes to jelly making and canning. Although I am the one who pushed him into his first jelly he started with pickles and really liked the process (and the end result, of course)!

On Saturday I decided to wake up and make blueberry orange marmalade and then some peach lavender jam! I am having a blast with making all this and love being able to give a jar out to neighbors! I have so far gotten all my recipes from the bread experience blog and I want to try so many more of her recipes! They all look incredible!! I also am looking forward to making peach butter. Today though I will be roasting tomatoes from the garden and canning those!! Wow wee what an adventure!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate! I just wanted to thank you for the nice comments on Jen's blog and to say thank you for following as well!

    I strolled thru all your blogs and you seem like a wonderful person who loves God and her family! Really admire that!

    Your post regarding your Daddy broke my heart. I truly hope he is doing well and you are such a good daughter to make sure he enjoys his strawberries for the first time too!

    My heart and prayers to you all! xoxo

    Very glad to see that you are enjoying your garden and diving into canning! If there is ever anything I can do to help or encourage you, feel free to ask away! My email is on my profile and you are more than welcome to hit me up! I'm no expert but I love the challenge! Did I read correctly that your hubby was considering beekeeping?? Careful now...all this stuff is addicting! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to be following you! It seems as if we really enjoy the same things. My family is my life and I really am enjoying being with both of my parents more than I ever thought I would. Alzheimer's is a hard thing to have to watch a parent go through but we try to focus on the positive and enjoy the time we do have with my daddy and try to be supportive for my mom. Yes, I have wanted to keep bees for years but never thought much of it because I never thought my husband would go for it. :( This summer he asked about it and I jumped on board. It will be a future project if we do so but something I am very excited about!!

    ReplyDelete